It’s almost Memorial Day, when many people will get off of Facebook and Youtube and enjoy a holiday weekend packed with backyard barbecues, picnics and fun in the long anticipated warm weather. When you're making plans for the long weekend, and for the rest of the summer, keep in mind these M.O.M. tips for staying healthy.
If you’re hosting a gathering of family and friends, consider offering a mix of healthy food and drink choices. When shopping for food, look for leaner and higher protein swaps like Italian Chicken Sausage, vs. Italian Pork Sausage. Also, keep a wide variety of fresh veggies with dips that contain less full-fat dairy, and more plant based such as hummus or bean dips!
Don’t completely “go rogue,” eat whatever you want, and tell yourself you will start over on Monday, and don’t completely deprive yourself of everything and spend the weekend avoiding every BBQ either. Everything in moderation!
Make sure you're also getting active! The weather during the long weekend is usually gorgeous, so have a hike planned during your bbq or camping plans and encourage your guests to participate! You will all get some exercise and will have a blast at the same time.
Healthy 7 Layer Dip Recipe!
With just a few healthy swaps, you will go from an unhealthy calorie-packed dip to a delicious and nutritious dish that’s perfect for all occasions! Here are the ingredients you need:
- 1 15 oz can of organic Refried Black Beans
- 2 Mashed avocados (instead of avocado “dip”). Season them with 2 Tbsp lime Juice, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and 1 tbsp chopped cilantro.
- 8oz of low-fat plain Greek Yogurt seasoned with Taco Seasoning (instead of full fat sour cream & mayo). You can use store bought or homemade taco seasoning.
- Tons of fresh veggies! 1 bunch of green onions, red bell peppers, 3-4 Roma tomatoes, diced – but you can use any combo you like: diced red onions, olives, lettuce, spinach, etc. – the sky’s the limit.
- 1/4 cup Mexican Cheese blend
- Serve the dip with homemade, baked tortilla chips made using corn tortillas, olive oil spray, and salt – and broiled in the oven at 350 degrees
Step 1: Warm up refried beans in a small pot over medium heat. Add in taco seasoning to taste. Once all combined, set aside to cool.
Step 2: Peel, pit, mash avocados in a small bowl – add lime juice, cilantro, salt, pepper and stir to combine.
Step 3: Combine yogurt and taco seasoning mix in another bowl.
Step 4: Cut corn tortillas into eighths, spread on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with olive oil cooking spray. Spray the tops of the tortillas with cooking spray, season with salt, and broil at 350 degrees on low until the tortillas are crispy & golden brown.
Layer all ingredients in either individual cups for each guest to grab or on your favorite platter, and ENJOY!